Information for Employers

Paying by Check to the State Central Collection Unit:

Checks should be made payable to “Indiana State Central Collection Unit”. Also, please indicate on the check the ISETS case number identifier and the employee’s/obligor’s social security number.

Remittance Form

Employers who send employee/obligor withholding payments by check must also submit an Employee Remittance Coupon. Click here to obtain a copy of the Employer Remittance Coupon.

Mailing Address (for employer payments only)

Payments may be mailed to:

Indiana State Central Collection Unit (INSCCU)
P.O. Box 6219
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6219

Electronic Payments

Employers with more than 50 employees and more than one employee/obligor are required by I.C. §31-16-15-16 to process child support payments electronically. For more information regarding electronic paying please see the Payment Processing Link below and follow the Free Online Payment Processing link. Click here for a Brochure about the “Online Payment Processing System.” For an Employer Online Payment System Website Setup Form, please click here. Additionally, the Child Support Bureau may be reached via telephone at (317) 232-0327 or 1-800-292-0403 for questions pertaining to electronic payments.

Multiple Support Withholdings

If more than one Order or Notice exists against the employee/obligor and you are unable to honor all support Orders or Notices due to federal or state withholdings limits, you must follow the state law procedure of the employee’s/obligor’s principal place of employment. For information and examples, please refer to the Indiana Department of Child Services website on Pro-rating Multiple Child Support Orders.

Income Withholding Orders for Independent/Sub-Contractors

Normally, per federal and state requirements governing income withholding for child support, the amount employers withhold is calculated by:

  1. For the pay period in question, from gross pay deduct all taxes (state, federal and local) which equal “disposable income for child support”.
  2. Multiply the “disposable income” by the percentage limiter (may be 50%, 55%, 60%, or 65%) indicated in the first paragraph of “Remittance Information” on the standard income withholding order.
  3. Compare the dollar amount result in #2 to the obligor’s ordered amount for the time period and whichever amount is the smallest is the amount to be withheld.

However, in the case of pay to an independent contractor where NO taxes are withheld, the Indiana Department of Child Services suggests to income payors, as a policy, that in order to be able to do steps 1-3 above, and in order to express fairness to the obligor, the income payor assume taxes of 20% for step 1 and then proceed to steps 2 and 3.

For example:

  1. Business (income payor) receives an IWO for an independent contractor (NCP obligor) to whom they are issuing a check for $400. The obligor’s support order is $100/wk + $20wk for arrears with an indicated percentage limiter of 55%. Assumption of 20% taxes on gross pay = $80.
  2. $400 – $80= disposable income of $320 ; $320 x 55% = $176
  3. The lesser amount as between the weekly order of $120 and the 55% amount of $176 is $120; therefore, the full IWO amount can be withheld.

If, on the other hand the gross payment of $400 had been for a two week period, then the calculation would be as follows:

  1. Assumption of 20% taxes = $80
  2. $400 – $80= disposable income of $320 ; $320 x 55% = $176
  3. The lesser amount as between the bi-weekly order of $240 and the 55% amount of $176 is, in this instance, $176; THEREFORE, the full IWO order amount cannot be withheld – the lesser amount to be withheld is the percentage limiter amount of $176.

Withholding Limits

For state orders, you may not withhold more than the lesser of:
The amounts allowed by the Federal Consumer Credit Protection Act (15 U.S.C. 1673(b)); or the amounts allowed by the state of the employee’s/obligor’s principal place of employment.

The federal limit applies to the aggregate disposable weekly earnings (ADWE). ADWE is the net income left after making mandatory deductions such as: state taxes, federal taxes, local taxes, Social Security taxes, statutory pension contributions, and Medicare taxes. The Federal CCPA limit is 50% of the ADWE for child support and alimony, which is increased by (1) 10% if the employee does not support a second family; and/or (2) 5% if arrears are greater than 12 weeks.

Additional information: the employer may retain a $2.00 fee from the employee’s income each time income is forwarded. The sum total of the amount to be withheld plus this fee shall not exceed the maximum amount permitted under the Consumer Credit Protection Act.

Termination Notification

You must promptly notify the Child Support Program when the employee/obligor no longer is employed by you. Please provide the following information to the Monroe County Child Support Office:

  1. Name of the employer
  2. Name of the employee/obligor
  3. Case identifier
  4. Date of separation from employment and reasoning (i.e., employee was terminated, voluntarily quit, etc.)
  5. Employee/obligor’s last known home address
  6. Employee/obligor’s new employer/address

Monroe County Child Support Contact Information

Monroe County Prosecutor’s Office
Child Support Program
214 W Seventh St, Ste 110
Bloomington, IN 47404
Phone: (812)349-2675
Fax: (812)349-2045


For information for employers regarding Income Withholding, please refer to the Indiana Department of Child Services website on Income Withholding for Employers.

For information for employers regarding options for the processing of income withholding order payments, please refer to the Indiana Department of Child Services website on Payment Processing.

For information for employers regarding what to do when you first hire a person, please refer to the Indiana Department of Child Services website on New Hire Reporting.

For Employer FAQs, please refer to the Indiana Department of Child Services website FAQs for Employers.