How to Refer a Bad Check

To refer a bad check to the Check Deception Program (CDP), follow these 5 easy steps:

  1. Once the check has been dishonored by the bank, make sure it meets the Eligibility Requirements for our Check Deception Program. Click on the link to view the requirements.
  2. Complete the Check Deception Affidavit form. Attach the original check(s) or bank-generated legal copy of the check to the completed form. Make sure to keep photocopies of all checks submitted for your personal records, along with copies of notification documents such as return receipts and bank notices.
  3. Mail or bring in the completed Check Deception Affidavit form with the attachments described in Step 2 above to:

    301 N. COLLEGE AVE. ROOM 211

  4. Once the checks have been sent to our office, DO NOT accept payments. Should the bad check writer contact you, direct that person to our office immediately.
  5. After we receive payment from the writer of the check, we will mail payment to the address you provided on the Check Deception Affidavit. We mail all payments by the 10th of every month.

Other Things to Know about the Check Deception Program

  • Once a bad check has been referred to the program, we will hold the check until payment is received. Once payment is received, the check will be released.
  • Please keep a record of all checks you submitted to the program.
  • Never accept payment of any kind from the bad check writer once the checks have been submitted to the Check Deception Program.
  • Once the Check Deception Program has received your Check Deception Affidavit form, we will send a letter via certified mail to the bad check writer demanding that payment be made to our office within 10 days. The demand for payment will include a Prosecutor’s collection fee and a service fee of $10.00 to be passed on to the merchant/victim.
  • If full payment is not received, the Prosecutor’s Office may pursue criminal charges. A Class ‘A’ misdemeanor charge of Check Deception is typically filed. However, more serious cases may result in felony charges for Theft or Check Fraud. If criminal charges are filed, you and/or your employees may be called upon as witnesses to appear in court.